Donation Page Optimization
Many fundraisers look to sales tactics of major corporations and online retailers to learn how to craft an effective donation page. But this assumes that the psychology behind the donation process and the sales process are similar. Our extensive research in nonprofit donation page optimization reveals something different. The thought sequence in making an online donation versus purchasing a product online are nearly opposites.
When purchasing a product online, the buyer enters their credit card information and makes the transaction. Afterwards, the buyer experiences the benefit of their purchase once it shows up on their doorstep.
When making a donation, the benefit is not a product, but rather an intangible feeling of making a difference in the world. This feeling comes as the donor begins to understand the value of your organization and the impact that you are having. It isn’t until after this feeling comes that the donor actually puts in their payment information and completes their transaction.
This baseline understanding of nonprofit donation page optimization will help you begin to test different variables on your donation pages. The more you test, the more learnings you will discover about what makes your donors give. These learnings will allow you to lift you conversion rate and average gift size.
The blogs below will give you new ideas and strategies to test on your donation pages to help you grow your online revenue.
Recent Donation Page Optimization Blogs
- Top 5 Online Fundraising Ideas to Grow Your Revenue
Every agency, marketer, and fundraiser can list their favorite best practices that they think will help grow your online fundraising. [»]
- Is Your Donation Page Copy Cheating on You?
Your donation page copy is often your one chance to convince a potential donor that donating to your organization is a [»]
- The Power of Perpetual Optimization
Getting a lift from an optimization experiment is exciting, but the beauty of testing comes in perpetual optimization. Perpetual optimization [»]
- How long should your email copy be?
When it comes to email copy length, people ask us all the time, “How long should my emails be?” I [»]
- Why Should I Give to You?
This is the fundamental value proposition question. Every single potential donor asks themselves this question before they give you a [»]
- 7 Ways to Reduce Friction On Your Donation Page
At any point in the donation process, your potential donor is just a single click away from exiting your page. [»]
- The 3 Stages of Donor Motivation
The Spark Line of a Donation When it comes to understanding donor motivation, many marketers treat it just as they [»]
- The Fundraiser’s Creed, Article Three: Testing Trumps Speculation
If we are going to be virtuous fundraisers who speak to our donors like people and accept giving as an [»]
- The Fundraiser’s Creed, Article Two: Giving Is An Act of Trust
Trust is a funny thing. We all want people to trust us, but we’re not always sure how to get [»]
- The Fundraiser’s Creed, Article One: People Give to People
The only way to begin optimizing online fundraising is to think like our donors. Often times we develop a marketing [»]
- Average Gift Size Optimization: Three Strategies
Each variable in our Flux Capacitor of Online Revenue Maximization (FCORM) has equal impact on revenue: Traffic, Conversion, and Average [»]
- Conversion Rate Optimization: Three Strategies
If you have visitors to your website, but they’re not saying yes (or you simply want more to say yes), [»]
- Motivation vs. friction on your donation forms
This post will unpack the unique relationship between motivation and friction on your giving forms, and will show you two [»]
- A/B Testing Guide for Non-Profits
You have seen the lifts that other nonprofits are getting from A/B testing, and now you are ready to do [»]
- “How can I improve my donation page?”
“How can I improve my donation page?” Over the past six years, I’ve been asked this question hundreds of times. Most [»]
- What a 30% drop in conversion taught us about credibility, a signature, and where to place the ask
Background The Chuck Colson Center for Christian Worldview built a resource center that offered access to their wealth of podcasts, [»]
- How clarifying the value proposition led to a 86% increase in donations for CaringBridge
CaringBridge is an incredible non-profit organization with a technology platform that allows loved ones to connect and provide support throughout [»]
- How the Texas State Historical Association increased member conversion by 146.5%
The Texas State Historical Association, organized in 1897, is the oldest learned society in Texas. It exists to foster the appreciation, [»]
- How The Heritage Foundation increased revenue per visitor by 31%
The Heritage Foundation is a public policy think tank headquartered in Washington, DC. Founded in 1973, their mission is to [»]
- 8 questions with Josh Eboch of Team Cornyn
Josh Eboch is the Political Director for Senator John Cornyn’s campaign. He is an accomplished online marketer who we recently [»]