Donation Page Optimization
Many fundraisers look to sales tactics of major corporations and online retailers to learn how to craft an effective donation page. But this assumes that the psychology behind the donation process and the sales process are similar. Our extensive research in nonprofit donation page optimization reveals something different. The thought sequence in making an online donation versus purchasing a product online are nearly opposites.
When purchasing a product online, the buyer enters their credit card information and makes the transaction. Afterwards, the buyer experiences the benefit of their purchase once it shows up on their doorstep.
When making a donation, the benefit is not a product, but rather an intangible feeling of making a difference in the world. This feeling comes as the donor begins to understand the value of your organization and the impact that you are having. It isn’t until after this feeling comes that the donor actually puts in their payment information and completes their transaction.
This baseline understanding of nonprofit donation page optimization will help you begin to test different variables on your donation pages. The more you test, the more learnings you will discover about what makes your donors give. These learnings will allow you to lift you conversion rate and average gift size.
The blogs below will give you new ideas and strategies to test on your donation pages to help you grow your online revenue.
Recent Donation Page Optimization Blogs
- 5 Online Fundraising Habits to Stop in 2019
At the start of a new year, there’s a universal sense of resolve to look at our lives and consider [»]
- 4 Reasons Donors Don’t Give to You that You Can Fix with Better Copywriting
Generating traffic is only half the battle. Amy Harrison of Write with Influence shares how you can write persuasive [»]
- Gift Arrays: When to use them, and how to optimize them.
If there is one thing that is almost entirely unique to the world of nonprofit websites (compared to the for-profit companies I [»]
- 5 Year-End Fundraising Ideas to Actually Grow Your Revenue
Almost every fundraiser or marketer I’ve talked to has a similar story about year-end fundraising: they spend hours and hours [»]
- 19 General Donation Page Ideas to Test
Your general donation page (or main/primary donation page) is the cornerstone page of your online fundraising program. If someone organically [»]
- How a Campaign Donation Page Can Boost Your Online Revenue
The campaign donation page is one of the 3 essential types of donation pages that every single nonprofit needs to [»]
- Instant Donation Pages: How to turn new subscribers into new donors instantly.
Over the past several months, we’ve been uncovering a new way of thinking about donation pages. There is no one-size-fits-all [»]
- Google Search Donations: What Every Nonprofit Needs to Know Before They Sign Up for the Google Donate Button
Google has recently introduced a new, easy way to donate to nonprofits called Google Search Donations, but before you run [»]
- 4 Experiments to Help You Think Differently About Online Fundraising
Online fundraising is hard. If you’re selling a product for a profit, you normally have market research to tell you [»]
- How to get the most out of Donation & Landing Page Optimization
This 8 session course on donation & landing page optimization is all about discovering why our donors and potential donors [»]
- The 3 Types of Online Donation Pages
Any fundraiser who has spent time searching for recommendations on what works to improve a donation page has come across [»]
- Top 5 Online Fundraising Ideas to Grow Your Revenue
Every agency, marketer, and fundraiser can list their favorite best practices that they think will help grow your online fundraising. [»]
- Is Your Donation Page Copy Cheating on You?
Your donation page copy is often your one chance to convince a potential donor that donating to your organization is a [»]
- The Power of Perpetual Optimization
Getting a lift from an optimization experiment is exciting, but the beauty of testing comes in perpetual optimization. Perpetual optimization [»]
- How long should your email copy be?
When it comes to email copy length, people ask us all the time, “How long should my emails be?” I [»]
- Why Should I Give to You?
This is the fundamental value proposition question. Every single potential donor asks themselves this question before they give you a [»]
- 7 Ways to Reduce Friction On Your Donation Page
At any point in the donation process, your potential donor is just a single click away from exiting your page. [»]
- The 3 Stages of Donor Motivation
The Spark Line of a Donation When it comes to understanding donor motivation, many marketers treat it just as they [»]
- The Fundraiser’s Creed, Article Three: Testing Trumps Speculation
If we are going to be virtuous fundraisers who speak to our donors like people and accept giving as an [»]
- The Fundraiser’s Creed, Article Two: Giving Is An Act of Trust
Trust is a funny thing. We all want people to trust us, but we’re not always sure how to get [»]